Information for Parents

General Info

  • The age of majority in Nebraska is 19.
  • Employers who fail to comply with income withholding notices or who punish or dismiss employees as a result of income withholding are subject to legal action.
  • The county or authorized attorney represents the State for the best interests of the child. No attorney-client relationship exists with either parent.
  • Either party in an action for child support can request that the case be reviewed for possible modification every three years by filling out an online application here: Request a Change / Review and Modification ( . This service is provided free of cost from the State of Nebraska (note that at least one parent must reside in the State of Nebraska to make use of this service).
  • Child support in Nebraska is set according to the state child support guidelines, found here: Article 2: Child Support Guidelines. | Nebraska Judicial Branch .

If you are ordered to pay child support…

  • All payments must be made to the Nebraska Child Support Payment Center, PO Box 82600, Lincoln, NE 68509
  • If you pay the other party directly, you may not receive credit for the payment.
  • Child Support payments are due on the first of each month and are delinquent the next day. Interest is charged on the delinquent amount after 30 days.
  • Income Withholding will be implemented on all cases involving child support whether there is a delinquency or not (including Unemployment withholding).
  • You MUST pay child support regardless of custody or visitation problems.
  • Health insurance must be provided for the minor child(ren).
  • If you have more than one order or judgment, your payment will be allocated among all. You cannot select which obligation to pay.
  • Non-payment of support can result in:
    • State and Federal income tax intercepts
    • License suspension
    • Report to credit agencies
    • Passport denial
    • Lottery prize intercept
    • Liens/seizure of property
    • Financial Institution Data Match
    • Contempt of court
    • Criminal/felony charges
    • Jail sentence
If you are ordered to receive child support…

You can apply for child support services by contacting your local Health and Human Services office or by contacting your local County/Authorized child support attorney.

If you or your child(ren) are receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) payments, the child support will be assigned to the State of Nebraska.

DO NOT accept child support payments directly from the non-custodial parent. All support payments must be sent to the Nebraska Child Support Payment Center in order to be properly credited.

If the non-custodial parent has more than one order or judgment, all payments received will be proportionately allocated among all.

Your court order may contain language prohibiting you from removing your child(ren) from the state without the courts consent. It is your responsibility to know what your court order says. Failure to do so may result in suspension or termination of child support.

Visitation cannot be withheld for non-payment of child support. Withholding visitation can:

Affect your child’s well being

Result in contempt of court

Result in a jail sentence